Books

Books

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

American Royals (American Royals, #1) by Katharine McGee

American Royals (American Royals, #1)American Royals by Katharine McGee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

American Royals by Katharine McGee had an interesting premise with the idea of an American monarchy, but it left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied. While I was excited about exploring an alternate universe perspective on American royalty, I found the characters to be hard to connect with or genuinely care about.

Throughout the book, the author invests a lot of time building various relationships, only to crush nearly all of them by the end. This left me feeling somewhat frustrated and wondering about the point of it all. The only character who consistently acted in a manner consistent with their personality was the villainous Daphne Deighton, which made her oddly intriguing in a story filled with characters who seemed to lack depth.

As I considered whether to continue with the series, I took a quick look at the reviews for the second book, and they didn't inspire confidence. It seems that my concerns about the characters and their development may persist in subsequent installments.

While American Royals had a promising concept, the execution didn't fully deliver for me. If you're looking for a more immersive exploration of an alternate American monarchy, you might be left wanting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment